Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:14:21 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/contrib/softupdates ffs_softdep.c src/sys/kern vfs_bio.c src/sys/sys buf.h src/sys/ufs/ffs ffs_alloc.c ffs_softdep_stub.c ffs_vfsops.c ffs_vnops.c src/sys/ufs/ufs ufs_extern.h ufs_lookup.c ufs_vnops.c

> mckusick    2000/01/09 16:24:24 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/contrib/softupdates ffs_softdep.c
>     sys/kern             vfs_bio.c
>     sys/sys              buf.h
>     sys/ufs/ffs          ffs_alloc.c ffs_softdep_stub.c
>                          ffs_vfsops.c ffs_vnops.c
>     sys/ufs/ufs          ufs_extern.h ufs_lookup.c ufs_vnops.c
>   Log:
>   Several performance improvements for soft updates have been added:
>   1) Fastpath deletions. When a file is being deleted, check to see if it
>      was so recently created that its inode has not yet been written to
>      disk. If so, the delete can proceed to immediately free the inode.
>   2) Background writes: No file or block allocations can be done while the
>      bitmap is being written to disk. To avoid these stalls, the bitmap is
>      copied to another buffer which is written thus leaving the original
>      available for futher allocations.
>   3) Link count tracking. Constantly track the difference in i_effnlink and
>      i_nlink so that inodes that have had no change other than i_effnlink
>      need not be written.
>   4) Identify buffers with rollback dependencies so that the buffer flushing
>      daemon can choose to skip over them.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.44      +186 -58   src/sys/contrib/softupdates/ffs_softdep.c
>   1.240     +145 -6    src/sys/kern/vfs_bio.c
>   1.88      +7 -2      src/sys/sys/buf.h
>   1.64      +8 -1      src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_alloc.c
>   1.7       +3 -3      src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep_stub.c
>   1.116     +6 -9      src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c
>   1.63      +31 -20    src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vnops.c
>   1.27      +2 -2      src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_extern.h
>   1.32      +11 -8     src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_lookup.c
>   1.129     +46 -22    src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_vnops.c

After this update, I'm seeing the following:

panic: softdep_lock: locking against myself

syncing disks... panic: softdep_lock: locking against myself
Uptime: 18m12s

dumping to dev #ad/0x20001, offset 327808
dump ata0: resetting devices .. done
95 failed, reason: aborted from console
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

I was accessing the disk fairly lightly - using exmh2 to read some
mail.

I'm actually seeing a frozen X screen.  I'll try to keep my hands
off next time it drops out if you're interested in a stack trace.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>