Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:48:37 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        jan@sparud.net (Jan Sparud)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCP loop problem fixed

Jan Sparud writes:

>(Sorry for the length of this mail)

I think it's well worth the length, since you provide a good explanation
of how you found the problem.

>*** if_spppsubr.c       Sat Jan  8 13:28:48 2000
>--- if_spppsubr.c.15    Sat Jan  8 13:20:54 2000
[snip]
>!       sp->lcp.timeout = 1 * hz;
[snip]
>--- 1828,1836 ----
[snip]
>!       sp->lcp.timeout = 3 * hz;
[snip]

this seems to be very hardware dependent. I'm using -current where the
timeout is set to 3*hz and I've *never* experienced a problem using
sppp to my ISP.

[lots snipped]

This is great stuff and I'm glad you took the time to find and fix the
(apparent) bug. I only have one comment - where you define HZ as 100. This
information can be obtained from the kernel using sysctl. There's a good
example in /usr/src/lib/libc/gmon/gmon.c where clockinfo is used.

It would be nice to get this into the CVS tree, but I'm not sure that
will be possible :(

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org