Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:36:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com (Matthew Jacob), peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm), obrien@NUXI.com, jedgar@fxp.org (Chris D. Faulhaber), cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC LINT

> I care after such a zombie (linux ncr53c8xx) since 1 year now:). It is
> only maintained against bugs and O/S changes. Seems the ncr also lives
> this way since a couple a year.
>
> The sym driver supports from 810A to 1010 and does actually use as best
It does not support the 825 so the above is not quite true.

> as I was able to do all features of these chips. Also supporting the old
> chips would have add to much complexity, or victimize new chips, actual
> reliability, etc...
>
> FYI, SYMBIOS has 1 driver for 810 up to 895 and another one for 896 to
> 1010 (may-be the 1010 will get a new driver, I donnot know).
> The sym only drops support for 6 years old chips.
>
> By the way, possible it is to write a single SIM that supports all the
> Adaptec collection of SCSI boards. Any volonteer? ;-)

The adaptec collection are far more different from each other than the
2 most different sym chips.  The ahc driver supports the family of
chips that is compariable to the sym driver, yes it is a complex beast,
but so is maintaining 2 sets of code that are 80% similiar in functionality.

What is so different about the 810, 815 and 825 chip that they need thier
own driver that will need maintained for at least 5 more years?

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net