Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:45:56 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

>     What's all this about loopback mounts in fstab about?  What does
>     that have to do with diskless startup?

I've got a loopback mount in /var/db/mounttab that looks like this:

946789037       localhost       /null

which is there because I run cfs (a crypto file system; see
/usr/ports/security/cfs).  Part of the cfs startup script does
this:

   /usr/local/sbin/cfsd && mount -o port=3049,intr localhost:/null /crypt

The problem is that when you boot, the invocation of 'rpc.umntall -k'
hangs for a while trying to contact the mountd or portmapper on localhost.
If it was smart enough to recognize an ICMP port unreachable error and
move on, we wouldn't have this problem.

It's not that I think moving mountd and portmap is necessarily a good
idea; this is just one scenario which perhaps has prompted this line of
thought.

louie