Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:39:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-chat)
Subject:   Re: funny repair remark

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> >This wouldn't happen to be IBM's repair center in Memphis, would it?
>
> No, it's a Toshiba, which i have been otherwise very happy with.  And they
> must all work together on repairs... mine went to Tennessee as well.
>
> >Stay away from ThinkPads until and unless IBM hires a contractor
> >that can do warranty repairs competently.
>
> I've heard to stay away from them in general....

IBM has been reported to send replacement units in at great
expense; one anecdotal instance had them loading a replacement
AS/400 onto a cargo plane in Germany to take to a central
African country in order to honor a repair contract.

They have also been anecdotally reported to have flown a
replacement ThinkPad to an Australian who purchased the
thing in the US, and for which the unit was not normally sold
in Australia.  The courier was a sales executive who happened
to be travelling to Australia on business.

IBM has also supported the idea of "FreeBSD certification" of
IBM systems; Doug Ambrisko spent some time validating a
machine, only to have the Advocacy group _not_ show up with a
FreeBSD certification logo.

IBM may be many things, but in the seven months since they
purchased Whistle, it's bleedingly obvious to me that they have
a very strong service philosophy.

PS: Just so that people know my bias, I still have a bad taste
in my mouth from the last time I was swallowed by a very large
company, back when Novell bought USL, and I can still say nice
things about both Novell and IBM.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---