Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:13:21 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing 4.0-current from 3.4-stable.

>>> The short question is:

What is the canonical way of moving from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-CURRENT?

>>> The longer story for anyone interested to know why I'm asking is:

I tried to install 4.0-CURRENT on top of my 3.4-STABLE.

What I did was:

 - cvsup the sources of 4.0-CURRENT.

   to my regret I had not saved the sources of 3.4-STABLE, and I'll
   probably need another cvsup (of 3.4-stable this time) tonight.

 - changed to single user mode

 - change into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and try to compile the new
   kernel, after I copied GENERIC to LOCAL and edited it.

   This failed because my (old) /usr/sbin/config does not recognize the
   format of the kernel config file.  It barfs at some options because
   it thinks they should have double quotes.

 - after that I changed into /usr/src and tried to 'make buildworld'
   followed by an installworld.  Silly as I am, I didn't use

	make buildworld && make installworld

   but in my haste, I typed

	make buildworld ; make installworld

This morning I found my machine writing messages into syslog about
sh(1) dumping core, again and again.  This was probably crond's foul
attempts to run commands with the new sh.

Now I'm stuck with a partially upgraded system.  I'm thinking of
re-installing the base system tonight, but since I'm determined to move
to -current, I'll probably keep a copy of my /usr/src from -current in
some other partition ;)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]