Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:48:05 -0500
From:      John Brann <john@brann.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   WaveLan woes

Hi,

I have a small wireless network of laptops talking through a ground station
(WavePoint II) to my Ethernet backbone.  I'm trying to get a Toshiba
Portege 660 running 3.4-RELEASE (from the CD) to drive a WavaLan card.

The cards are all IEEE Silver.  No encryption is being used (yet).

The wi0 driver is built into the kernel, and pccardd correctly loads
the driver on card insertion.  The MAC address reported is correct.
The power light on the card comes on and wicontrol -i wi0 shows:

NIC serial number:			[ 99UT11361866 ]
Station name:				[ FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node ]
SSID for IBSS creation:			[ FreeBSD IBSS ]
Current netname (SSID):			[ FreeBSD IBSS ]
Desired netname (SSID):			[ ANY ]
Current BSSID:				[ 00:00:00:00:00:00 ]
Channel list:				[ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:				[ 3 ]
Current channel:			[ 3 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:		[ 0 27 27 ]
Promiscuous mode:			[ Off ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):		[ 3 ]
MAC address:				[ 00:60:1d:1d:25:60 ]
TX rate:				[ 3 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:		[ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:				[ Off ]
Access point density:			[ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):		[ 0 ]
Max sleep time:				[ 100 ]

I can ifconfig the interface.  When I try to ping another machine on the
network, I see a brief pulse in the 'traffic' light on the card.

The WavePoint does not pick up the packets.  There is no corresponding
flash on the WavePoint's traffic light.

A previous thread suggested changing the RTS/CTS threshold to 0.  I tried
this, but the results were identical.

All hardware is working OK, rebooting the machine into NT, using the same
card, works fine.

Any ideas?

John

--