Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:33:52 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        "Morten A. Middelthon" <morten@freenix.no>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cnn.com - "King of the network operating systems"

* John <papalia@udel.edu> [000126 09:52] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So, I read that whole article, and I thought about formulating a letter to
> the authors.  I was hoping that someone with more experience would do that
> though... below are the reasons.  I know you have to pick your battles
> carefully, and given that I'm relatively new to this "battle", I was hoping
> someone could shed light on whether or not it's truly worth the effort
>
> - When you read the article, it reads (IMHO) as a blatant advertisement for
> W2K, with only afterthoughts put in to the other 3 OS's.  Everything is
> "W2K" can do this, but XYZ os "can't do this".

What really confounded me was that:

1) win2k never seemed to take the lead in _any_ of the benchmarks
2) the only OS they bothered to tune was win2k (it still didn't perform)
3) they only cared to 're-evaluate' a benchmark when win2k got toasted
4) win2k sucked eggs, but every paragraph praises it, maybe it's cool
   to be able to watch the loseNT perfmeter as your server sucks eggs
   "Well it totally sucked at serving LDAP, but look how cool the LDAP
    config tool was!  win2k win2k!"

bah!

I finally saw win2k for the first time last night, it swaps like mad
with 64 megs of ram while doing _absolutely nothing else_, the cool
part is you don't have to reboot to change tcp/ip settings, but it
seems like you have to up/down the interface after you change settings.

How exactly is one to do this remotely?  Even i'm not fast enough with
a mouse to be able to re-up the interface before it eats my connection.

-Alfred