Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:00:30 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: getting rid of windows...

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 06:41:01PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I am very close to getting rid of windows entirely, and i wanted to get some opinions.  I have a laptop with a 4 gig drive, split evenly with FreeBSD.  right now, FreeBSD takes up about 65% of the space.  I don't know how quickly i would use that up, but it would be nice to have a little more elbow room.  Here are my only reservations:

While you're on your way to getting rid of Windows, do yourself a favor and
get rid of that lousy email client you're using, or at least fix its
linewrapping settings. :-)

> Multimedia support: windows does a great job with .avis, mpegs, .wav files, and the like.  I just can't seem to get FreeBSD to work as seamlessly.

Um, we have various MP3 players available. Same with .wav. Can't say
anything about .avi's though.

> Development: i use djgpp and rhide for school programming assignments.  They work really well together.  Granted, i haven't explored the BSD options.
> And if i ever need to bring VC++ work home, i'll be stuck.

I do all my development on FreeBSD. Granted, they are only simple non-GUI
C++ programs. I find VIM + g++ 2.95.2 a nice combination.

> Games.  Enough said.

There are some nice games that are available to run on FreeBSD. You could
try the Linux version of this or that (i.e., Descent, Doom, Quake 3 Arena,
and so forth). I happen to like xkobo, xbill, and other simple games that
are available in the ports collection.

> On the other hand, i don't really use that many multimedia apps, or games,
> and i know BSD has excellent development tools, once i learn them.  Is the
> extra 2 gigs of space worth it?  P.S. I'm a poor college student right now,
> if i could afford a desktop machine with a 20 gig drive, i would have it  :-)

Heh.. if you gave up games completely, you'd probably think FreeBSD was
heaven. :-)

I speak for myself only.. I've never used any of the audio/video players
available under either OS, and I've only played a few games (compared to
most people anyway). I find the development tools much more intuitive under
FreeBSD than Windows. If you want a GUI development suite, there are
several already available (kdevelop, qtez, and others come to mind).

Do some research. If you want to use FreeBSD bad enough, you could pitch a
hand in the porting job. ;-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>