Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:15:32 +0100
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@netscum.dk
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports DISTNAME/distfiles question(s)...

On Tue, Mar 04, 2036 at 23:36:30 +0100, I am not any sort of Fluffy wrote:
> Howdy y'awl
>
> I've got a question or three, okay?  It's like this:
>
> I'm trying to build a bunch of ports by giving the command (so
> as to overload the line to the local mirror with all the distfiles
> rather than going outside)....
>
> make MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://ftp.dk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/
>
> Most of the time it works great (say, for bash).
> Sometimes it doesn't.  I trust that what I am doing is right?
>
> Where it fails is when the actual distfiles are in a subdirectory
> of the site's distfiles directory mirror.  Take, f'rinstance,
> X11, called for when I'm trying to build cvsup.
>
> The X11 src.tgz files are in subdirectory `xc' under distfiles.
> One of the XFree86 Makefiles has this directory as `DISTNAME'.
>
> On the other hand, some other ports have DISTNAME and PKGNAME
> the same.  On the third hand, something like `xemacs', which
> exists as a subdirectory under `distfiles', didn't exist by
> itself in the Makefile I looked at (but I didn't look too
> closely).
>
> So, the question:
> Just how do these subdirectories under `distfiles', if present,
> get specified in the Makefile?  And what is the point of the
> different DISTNAME and PKGNAME and DISTFILES, so that if
> something is b0rken, I can attempt to fix it?
>
> This is probably all answered somewhere, so if you would be
> so kind as to point me to it, I'll show my gratitude by doing
> a bunch o' greppin' an' scratchin' and try to fix as best I
> can the ports that don't properly compile given the above
> commandline.
>
> Otherwise, give me a better generic commandline to get the
> files out of the local distfiles mirror.  Now I have to
> specify the desired subdirectory when the command without it
> fails, and that's not nice.  I'd guess these subdirectories
> are a somewhat recent addition?

Have a look at /etc/make.conf:

# If you want your port fetches to go somewhere else than the default
# (specified below) in case the distfile/patchfile was not found,
# uncomment this and change it to a location nearest you.  (Don't
# remove the "/${DIST_SUBDIR}/" part.)
#
#MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=   \
#       ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
#

So with

make MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://ftp.dk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/

you win again.

Regards
--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
ZT IK 3, Siemens CERT        | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166