Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:26:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        "Glendon M. Gross" <gross@clones.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

In article <200001271646.JAA46066@harmony.village.org> you write:
>[winmodems... i don't care about those]

>I just like pci modems because they perform better than their isa
>counterparts and can share interrupts.

They perform better??  shouldn't the isa bus' bandwidth be more
than enough for the (even compressed) 56kbps of a modem?

 Btw even before there were `winmodems' and pci i preferred external
ones, they have LEDs that tell you whats going on or whats wrong
with the connection (and some also have things like a button to
hang up or transfer the call to/from a connected phone...)  and
you can also reset them without having to reboot the entire box.

 And about the interrupts, well, i just got a cheap used 4-port
sio card, now the mouse (trackball, actually), modem and the link
to the little isdn pbx only take a single interrupt and i still
have one port free for other things...

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>