Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:29:18 +1100
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@nu.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfile

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:17:33AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
: > If I have an older distfile, is there any rsync magic I can do to
: > reduce traffic?  If I've already got 80% of the distfile, it would
: > sure be nice to fetch only the changed bits...
:
: You must be referring to syncing the contents of the distfile, not the
: distfile itself (since there is likely to be almost nothing in common
: bytewise between compressed .tgz's of one version and another).

Actually, I was hoping to rsync the .tgz, .tar.gz, or .zip files.  I
hadn't checked the zlib algorithms and relevant RFCs enough to know
who much difference you'd get in compressed archive for a minor change
in the underlying file.  I'll believe you that it's nasty, and have to
do my fetches unattended overnight...  Sigh.

--
Christopher Vance