Date:      Tue,  1 Feb 2000 23:07:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      wjw@iae.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad memory suspected

In article <59063B5B4D98D311BC0D0001FA7E4522013137AD@l04.research.kpn.com> you write:
>Hoi Jan Willem,
>
>I would tend to agree with Doug White about a "make world" being a good
>memory test. However, I suspect Doug has the kind of system that will do a
>make world in a minute or two.

I too agree with Doug. It is what causes me to ask this question. ;-)
make -j 4 buildworld keeps me getting crashes. Even during making the
temp-tools.

Now I've already replaced the memory once: 4*16M out, in 4*32M, but the crashingis still there. I've even set the timing to it's lowest, but still no go.

I could go out an buy more new parts, but this is one of the cases to get to
know FreeBSD again a little better. Memory testing skills are a leftover from
a previous life. Heck, i've even help design a state-machine to test embeded
RAM on VLSI ;-)

>You should run "make world" to verify your test results, but if you've just
>plopped in a new SIMM, making the world is just too heavy.
>

>> Any pointers to nightly reading material??
>>
>Since FreeBSD systems will start pumping out random signal 11's in the face
>of bad memory, try searching the -hardware and -questions list for that. I
>believe that someone actually wrote a signal 11 FAQ, but I don't have a
>pointer.

I'll go and see if I can find something like that.

>There is a (Linux) program named memtest that will do just what you suggest.
>You can dd(1) the binary onto an unused 1 meg partition and have booteasy
>drop you in without even touching an OS.

That's a nice idea a well, I think a module would learn me something more/new
to do. But I'll also try and digout this program.

Thanx,
--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands