Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:08:22 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
Cc:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re/Fwd: freebsd specific search

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 11:18:23AM -0500, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> > systems have the highest availability rate possible.  Over the last few
> > years, I have replaced almost all of our Linux-based servers with FreeBSD,
> > due to the quality-control measures that the FreeBSD development team have
> > implemented.
>
> Not to start a flame-fest or anything (but who doesn't love em?), I hear
> the above quite a lot.
>
> I'm under the firm belief that a decent sys admin can rub either system to
> do whatever they want it to do. Not that I am questioning your abilities.
> I just get the "yeah, Linux is good, but just try to use it in a
> production environment and you'll understand" a lot.
>
> Granted, a lot of Linux distributions are totally unsuited for a server
> environment. Compared to that, I could understand why the
> server-orientedness of FreeBSD is attractive, but I certainly couldn't put
> up a reasonable arguement for either side in Slackware Linux vs. FreeBSD.

I am going to regret this, but....

For production enviroments FreeBSD has two significant advantages.

It's release structure means FreeBSD is a complete operating system (as
opposed to a kernel and one of several distributions) and machines are
maintainable and upgradable in production over long periods of time via
the STABLE branch.

The FreeBSD kernel internals seem to have consistantly scaled further than the
Linux kernel over the last few years (though linux has improved lots recently).
This isn't a problem in most production enviroments however in marginal
configurations it can be nasty. I had a very bad day six months ago attemting
to patch a linux kernel to have >2048 file descriptors.

--
GeoffB