Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:41:41 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne@moneyworld.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports ... SSH in particular

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:33:09AM +0000, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks to all who sent such helpful advice on the ports.... I've put
> ssh-1.2.27.tar.gz in /usr/ports/distfiles and tried to run make in
> /usr/ports/security/ssh
>
> I get error1 * about 30 times and a message about setting the US_RESIDENT
> env var. I export US_RESIDENT=no and export USE_TCPWRAP=yes and then tried
> it again. The result was the same as before, just without the US_RESIDENT
> warning.
>
> Am I doing something dumb, or can anyone give me advice on this... Also,
> looking in the Makefile, I see that it is setting use-rsaref=yes. Can I
> just hash this line out? After the recent CERT advisory, I'm reluctant to
> run ssh with rsaref :-)

It's USA_RESIDENT, not US_RESIDENT. As I understand it, if USA_RESIDENT
is set to NO, the rsaref library will not be used.

Anyway, you should be using /usr/ports/security/openssh :-)

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"No, no, there is no why." - Yoda, Jedi Master