Date:      Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:47:14 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@california.sandia.gov>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] Fix broken PLIST for net/vnc

--==_Exmh_1777155486P

If memory serves me right, "Chris D. Faulhaber" wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>
> > Hi folks--
> >
> > I can't get send-pr to work for me (probably due to the recent mail
> > problems at freebsd.org), but I've got a patch for one of my ports that
> > needs commiting (the PLIST is broken due to gratuitous distfile changes
> > without a version number bump).  Could some committer take a look at this
> > please?
> >

> Did the MD5 checksum change?

This port doesn't check checksums.  It's a long story, but it's an
artifact of a time when the original source distribution was going
through some small, apparently gratuitous changes with no version bumps
at all.  It was breaking the port so much that Mike Smith (the
maintainer at the time) gave up trying to track the checksum changes
and just had the port ignore it.

After this last occurrence, I've posted a plea on the VNC list for
changes in either the source distribution or the documentation
distribution to be accompanied by a version number bump and an
announcements, but no one's answered me yet.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1777155486P

--==_Exmh_1777155486P--