Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:01:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        torstenb@vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free slow channel

From the keyboard of Torsten Blum:

> >A friend told me in [last weekend's (5&6 Feb 2000)?] Suddeutsche Zeitung
> >`Computer & Co' supplement, it reported that, as of 9/2000 Deutsche Telekom
> >would offer free continuous ISDN connection at low bandwidth.
> >I presume this is buried inside the 16K D channel,
> >I hope it's not tied into their own ISP service, but is generic,
>
> I don't know what DTAG wans to offer technically, but ATMK the only
> way to transfer data in the D-channel which is supported by ITU
> standards is X.25 via D-Channel as defined in X.31. This has been
> available from DTAG for a long time.
>
> I wonder if they really want to do it via X.25 or if there's either
> any standard I missed or if DTAG wants to define a new protocol on
> their own ...

This looks like AODI (always on dynamic isdn ?) what was hyped some months
ago in the US. If i understood it correctly this works like this: you have
a permanently open (virtual) X.31 connection open on the D-channel and in
case you need more bandwidth one or both B-channels are opened.

What i don't understand, is how the Telekom will solve the marketing and
pricing problem of giving something away for free (X.31 in the D-channel)
what they are currently charging extraordinary amounts of money .....

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77