Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:12:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu (Kenny Drobnack), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

:sure your amount of metadata that needs checking is reasonably low.
:
:> 	Also, it seems like 64 bit processors will be in use before 1 TB
:> filesystems are common. Won't the filesystem need to be 64-bitted for
:> that?
:
:I would guess.  Matt Dillon commented on this already, though, and is much
:better suited to having an opinion about it.
:
:... Joe
:
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Joe Greco - Systems Administrator			      jgreco@ns.sol.net
:Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/342-4847

    Personally I think going to 64 bit block numbers is overkill.  32 bits
    is plenty (for the next few decades) and, generally, people running
    filesystems that large tend to be in the 'fewer larger files' category
    rather then the 'billions of tiny files' category, so using a large
    block size is reasonable.   At the moment the filesystem block size is
    the kernel's minimum disk I/O (at least when accessing portions backed
    by full blocks), but it is far more likely that we change the kernel
    to do less then full block reads then it is that we bump up the block
    number to 64 bits.

    Given a kernel modified to not have to read full blocks, the filesystem
    block size becomes more of a 'reservation size' and in multi-terrabyte
    filesystems it would not be unreasonable to make this something really
    big, like a megabyte (a fragment would then be 128K).  With a blocksize
    of a megabyte filesystems up to 2048 TB would be possible with 31 bit
    block numbers.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>