Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:34:43 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error: "Maximum file descriptors exceeded"...

James Housley stated:
> Brad Knowles wrote:
> >

> >         Unfortunately, none of this seems to be related to my problem of
> > having the error message described, or how I can eliminate this error
> > message.
> >
> housley@cat:~/work/monitors {34} sysctl -a | grep -i file
> kern.maxfiles: 2088
> kern.bootfile: /kernel
> kern.maxfilesperproc: 2088
> kern.corefile: %N.core
> p1003_1b.mapped_files: 0
>
> It looks like updating kern.maxfiles and/or kern.maxfilesperproc should
> do the trick.  What are the limits set in /etc/login.conf??

I thought this too, but if I run

sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=4096
sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=4096

Now:

% sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 4096
% sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
kern.maxfilesperproc: 4096

However, limit -h (tcsh builtin) and limits -H still report

descriptors     2088
openfiles            2088

respectively.

Even the manpage for sysctl implies this

     Name                            Type          Changeable
     kern.maxfiles                   integer       yes
     kern.maxfilesperproc            integer       yes

Am I missing something obvious?  Are these values really updated?