Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:10:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh strangeness in -current...

Hi,

I have upgraded a machine to the latest -current snapshot (it
was running a -current from the end of January before).  Every-
thing went fine, except for one thing: ssh didn't work anymore.
It used to work fine before.

At first I was very suprised and had no clue what was going on.
I couldn't imagine how the new -current base system could
affect my ssh binary which had been installed from the ports
long before.  I even pkg_deleted it and re-installed it from
the ports (yeah, stupid me), to no avail.  It complained about
some RSA library missing.

Finally I got the great idea to type "which ssh", showing me
that there now was a (non-functional) ssh binary in /usr/bin.
I removed it, and everything started working again, picking up
the ports version from /usr/local/bin.

Apart from my stupidness of not checking the location of the
binary first -- what did I do wrong, and what's the recommended
way of handling this?  Am I supposed to rm /usr/bin/ssh each
time I install a new release or snapshot?  I can't believe
that.

By the way, _why_ is ssh in the base system now, and what is
wrong with having it in the ports?  I'm sorry if there was a
"HEADS UP" on this list, then I must have missed it.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Just in case if it matters, I have USA_RESIDENT=NO in my
make.conf.

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)