Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:57:48 +1000
From:      Phil Homewood <philh@mincom.com>
To:        Colin Phipps <crp22@cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnu/16942: send-pr(1) creates unsafe temp files

Colin Phipps wrote:
> > The patch on PR 17175 looks a little cleaner.  How does it look to
> > you?
>
> Simplistic. It doesn't even fix the temp race, since the file pointed
> to by $TEMP is rm'd and reopened e.g. if send-pr is looking up the username
> in /etc/passwd. My patch uses a separate temporary file for each operation.

*blink* I missed that; you're right. Should indeed be a separate
tempfile, or at least just truncated without unlinking. Deleting
the two "rm -f $TEMP" lines looks at first glance like it'll fix
the race, at least.

> Also, 17175 is more likely to leave temp files lying around if it is
> interrupted. My patch attempts to minimise this possibility by only
> creating those temporary files around the same place the trap is set
> up to remove them on exit.

I tried to change as little functionality as possible.

My first attempt at a fix actually used 'mktemp -d' and cleaned up
everything after itself, but send-pr does deliberately leave temp
files lying around under some circumstances (eg, if the PR was
"bad") so I decided to keep the functionality the same. All I was
interested in was fixing the vulnerability.

Having said that, I don't *like* the way it leaves cruft everywhere...

Looking over the patch in 16942, I like it better too. Suggest
going with that one and throwing mine out the window. :)
information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender. The contents of this email are the opinion of the
writer and are not endorsed by Mincom Ltd unless expressly stated otherwise.