Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:02:56 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Ingolf Koch <ingolf@knuut.de>
Cc:        ISDN-List <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: isp0 up and running but not working

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 11:23:22PM +0100, Ingolf Koch wrote:

> > Did no one else see this?

I have this occasionally with 0.90 and 4.0-current. I'm not sure
whether ifconfig'ing alone cures the problem or if restarting isdnd is
also necessary.

The symptom is that I don't get a connection. Not sure whether
a dial out is made but I seem to remember that the usual JSB (Julian
Stacey Beep) does not occur. When this happened the first times
I always blamed my provider (the university campus) until I found out
that the problem lies in i4b/i4bisppp/FreeBSD.

Another strangeness, which may be related to that:

When I start my 'ping -i20 <peerhost>' to protect against
undesired shorthold the first ping doesn't get through.

This happens also when using ssh/rlogin, which times out in the higher
layer.

So to say, the way connections are made is kind of abnormal,
I always have to do a ping first or some other event that causes
a dialout before I can safely start ssh/rlogin.