Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:09:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Uninstalling ports COMPLETELY

Hello, I'm a newbie to FreeBSD so please bare with me
if this is an obvious matter.

I installed a program from the ports collection but
later I realised I didn't need it anymore. So did a
"make deinstall". I believe that erases all the
binaries. However, I noticed the amount of free space
on my drive was relatively the same. Then I erased the
"work" directory in the port directory and my disk
space was back up to what it was before. My question is
have I uninstalled everything by doing those 2 things?

Coming from Windows, this was such a headache. Installing
a program but then realising you didn't need it anymore
so you would use "add/remove programs" in the control
panel and it would erase most of the binaries installed.
Yet there were always left over .dll files and registry
entries. There were 3rd party apps that sort of solved
this problem (e.g., Cleansweep) but often they erased
too much sometimes. So, for me, I wouldn't like to try
programs out because I didn't know what was happening
behind the scenes: in the registry, shared .dlls, or
whatever. It was incredibly annoying and frustrating
because I like to keep my system "clean".

So again, I just wanna know, if I have removed all traces
of that program being ever on my system by doing a
"make deinstall" and erasing the "work" directory in that
specfic port.

Thanx in advance.

=====
PGP public key: