Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:30:54 -0500
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wow, it has been a while

I was just sitting here, thinking, wow, 4.0.  I remember (like it was
yesterday) the first time I installed FreeBSD.  It was 2.2.2.  It was so
clean and smooth, unlike Linux, or Solaris, or OpenVMS.  This was
different.  On a 486 with 16 megs of RAM, it was faster and more
responsive than a dual P5/133 with 96 megs of RAM running Linux.  This was
different.  It managed uptimes of 80 days, before I would do something
dumb and crash the system (kill -9 -1 as root once:).  That same Linux
system wouldn't do 10 days if it had to.  This was different.

The 486 I used sat in a computer lab at Miami University.  I had walked
into the lab one day with a FreeBSD boot disk.  I made a sign saying
"Workstation Down" and hijacked a random PC, in the middle of the lab.  It
ran for 9 months before one of the schools employees found something
amiss.  They pulled the plug.  But by then I was running FreeBSD at
home.  And on one production server.  In fact, since that first install of
2.2.2, I have not installed any other OS, except for a simple install on a
throw-away system.  And even then, it never lasts more than a few hours,
or long enough to see what they have changed in the past year.

So what I am saying here is thank you for making such a kick ass system
and I'd love to hear about other's first expereinces with FreeBSD, or BSD
if you are older.  In fact, I was born in December of 1979, if someone has
a first BSD story that predates that, I would be endlessly amused.

Jamie