Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:41:25 -0500
From:      John Brann <john@brann.org>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wow, it has been a while

In my case it was Mr. Protocol's doing that I began my BSD using career.

I'd just decided (in early '95) to jump into home UNIX(-like) use, and was
looking at Slackware, when I read the 'Ask Mr. Protocol' column (it
runs in 'Server/Workstation Expert') which talked about that exact subject.
Mike O'Brien, who writes the column, made some convincing arguments about
the FreeBSD project being more focused than the Linux efforts.

My first experiments with LILO were enough to convince me that FreeBSD might
be worth looking at.

I still have the 2.0CD, which I could never use because I had put a new-
fangled Adaptec 2940 in my shiny new Pentium 60 box.  As a consequence, my
first FreeBSD system was a 2.0.5-SNAP from sometime in March '95.  The case,
memory disk and SCSI controller from that machine are still in use in a
firewall machine.

I'm celebrating 5 years of continuous, more than satisfied, use of FreeBSD,
while looking forward to the exciting possibilities of the new BSDI.

I've been a professional software developer for more than 15 years and
I can't think of a single other piece of software that I've used, in that
time, that combines innovation, reliability and robustness in the
way that FreeBSD has.  Dammit, I'm not sure I can remember another piece
of software I've used for five years straight without either throwing it out
or wishing I could.

John

--
        Unreal City,