Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:44:09 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports installing files in /usr/X11R6/share/aclocal/

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 02:31:33PM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 12:09:35PM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:
> >
> > Tell that to audio/timidity++-xaw, comms/hylafax, ftp/moxftp,
> > graphics/xmovie, mail/faces, mail/smtpd, mail/xfaces, mail/zmailer,
> > net/ivs, net/xisp, x11-wm/gwm, etc.

With regards to the location of aclocal files.  These files aren't
actually used by ports, at the moment.  This means that if you area
developer, using these files you can copy them to wherever you want...

> For example, a substantial portion of the ports you mentioned
> can be "fixed" by me re-rooting all of GNOME under /usr/local
> (following KDE's lead) even though some parts of it link
> against against X11 libraries (and thus should be in /usr/X11R6).

I like this idea anyway.  It makes life much simpiler, and also it
doesn't mess with the X11 heirachy as much.  At the moment /usr/local
has a BSD/GNU type heirarchy and a /usr/X11R6 has the X11 style.  Just
because GNOME is an X11 app doesn't mean it belongs in /usr/X11R6.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/