Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:19:31 -0500
From:      Mike Caudill <mcaudill@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   default routes problem

I think this might be a bug, and searching has produced no results on it
being reported yet.

Here is the situation

                  (net 1)
FreeBSD pc ---------------------- rtr 1

                                  rtr 2 -------------------- Windoze PC1
                                            |  (net 3)

                                            |--------------- Windoze PC2

net 1 - 1.1.1.X     rtr 1 is 1.1.1.1, FreeBSD pc is 1.1.1.2
net 2 - 2.2.2.X, but doesnt really matter
net 3 - 3.3.3.X     rtr 2 is 3.3.3.1 WinPC1 is 3.3.3.3, winpc2 is 3.3.3.4

FreeBSDpc has default gateway set to 1.1.1.1
Both Windows pcs have their default gateways set to 3.3.3.1

FreeBSDpc can talk to WinPC1, but not WINpc 2.  Both rtr1 and rtr2 can
talk to winpc1 and winpc2.  There are no access lists,  firewalls, or NAT
going on.

Winpc2 can talk to other hosts on net1 just fine.

So, on FreeBSD pc, I add a static route for the network.

route add 3.3.3.0 1.1.1.1

still cant talk to winpc2.

route add 3.3.3.4 1.1.1.1

now the two can finally talk to each other.  This is not an arp issue, as
all hosts and routers have the correct arp entries (otherwise the rtrs
themselves could not have had conversations with the winpcs).

It seems like there might be a bug in the routing table lookups.  I have seen
this problem before on another machine, but dismissed it as a possible fluke
which seemed to go away after a reboot.  Now I am seeing it again on
another machine.

Has anyone seen this before?

-Mike-

      ||        ||       | Mike Caudill                | mcaudill@cisco.com |
      ||        ||       | Customer Support Engineer   | 919.392.2855       |
     ||||      ||||      | 7025 Kit Creek Road         | 919.392.2944 (fax) |
 c i s c o S y s t e m s | Research Triangle Park, NC  27709                |