Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:32:10 +0000
From:      Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rollback to 3.4

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 01:25:11PM +0000, J McKitrick wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 11:39:50AM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> >
> > Restore from backups ? :)
> > Are you having a problem with the upgrade?
>
> Yes, i lost 3 important functions it took me forever to get working
> before: modem card, parallel zip drive, and sound.  I use this machine
> for school, and it MUST do these things, and soon.  Sound is not
> critical, but the first 2 are.

For sound add:

device          pcm0

to your kernel config file.

For the zip drive, it should work.  The GENERIC kernel contains the following:

device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

Have you checked to see that your kernel config file contains these? (minus
the comment on vpo).

What kind of modem card is it?  (Does it act like a serial port?)
Joe