Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:24:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

In message <200003231618.JAA02894@nomad.yogotech.com> Nate Williams writes:
: > Indeed.  FWIW, a friends laptop has a strange allergy to irq 10....
: > *any* pccard that's given irq 10 will just not work (modem's one
: > character behind etc), as if the controller itself couldn't handle
: > it.  In fact, if you give the controller irq 10, nothing works !
:
: What probably is the issue is the underlying hardware uses IRQ 10.  On
: my ThinkPad, the CardBus controller uses up IRQ 10, even though FreeBSD
: doesn't support Cardbus.  However, I *still* have to assign another IRQ
: to it for PCMCIA legacy support as well, so I lose two interrupts. :(

There's a problem with interrupt sharing in legacy mode for mode
cardbus bridges.  Since I don't have the tools to troubleshoot why
this would be the case (no bus analyser, no clue where to connect it
if I did, etc), I can only speculate it is due to the level vs edge
interrupt nature of the card.

The list of interrupts in the pccard's cis is hard coded into roms on
the pccard itself.  It should be completely ignored.  The card itself
has only one interrupt line which is routed by the pcic hardware from
the card to the pci/isa/whatever bus.  If a pccard can't use a
particular irq, it is because someone else is using it already.

Warner