Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:09:22 +0000
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   amazon email response

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

Hope this come out right.. i'm using attachments....

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

I haven't ordered from amazon in a while, so they sent me an email.  I
responded saying i was boycotting amazon until they changed their
patent policy.  Here was there response....
--------------------
Dear jm,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us concerning the patents we
have been awarded for 1-Click ordering and for our Internet-based
referral system.  As you might imagine, we have received a variety of
feedback about both of these issues.

Patents are designed to encourage innovation.  They are an important
part of our intellectual property portfolio, as they are for any
company in the high-tech field.

However, you should know that our company has recently taken steps to
encourage meaningful patent reform.  Our founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos,
has contacted the offices of several members of Congress from the
committees with primary responsibility for patents to ask if they
would be willing to meet with him on this issue.

Here is a brief summary of his proposal:

1. Patent laws should recognize that business method and software
patents are fundamentally different than other kinds of patents.

2. Business method and software patents should have amuch shorter
lifespan than the current 17 years--we suggest 3 to 5 years.

3. When the law changes, this new lifespan should take effect
retroactively so that we don't have to wait 17 years for thecurrent
patents to enter the public domain.

4. For business method and software patents, there should be a short
(maybe one month) public comment period *before* the patent number is
issued.  This would give the Internet community the opportunity to
provide prior art references to the patent examiners at a time when it
could really help.

For more information, please take a few minutes to read Jeff's open
letter on this subject:

http://www.amazon.com/patents

We appreciate feedback from customers about all important issues
concerning Amazon.com, and we carefully consider all viewpoints
expressed.  We hope you will continue to let us know how we can
improve our service to customers.

Best regards,

Misty Rodriguez
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com
=============================

Here was a response i was considering.  Is there any way i can make
this more effective, or is there anything i should change?
---------------------
>Patents are designed to encourage innovation.  They are an important
>part of our intellectual property portfolio, as they are for any
>company in the high-tech field.

Then let other companies innovate as well. This patent will damage other
companies that are NO threat to Amazon.com.

>However, you should know that our company has recently taken steps to
>encourage meaningful patent reform.  Our founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos,
>has contacted the offices of several members of Congress from the
>committees with primary responsibility for patents to ask if they
>would be willing to meet with him on this issue.
>
>Here is a brief summary of his proposal:
>
>1. Patent laws should recognize that business method and software
>patents are fundamentally different than other kinds of patents.

True.

>2. Business method and software patents should have amuch shorter
>lifespan than the current 17 years--we suggest 3 to 5 years.

True. But Jeff will be hurting other non-threatening businesses in the
process.

>3. When the law changes, this new lifespan should take effect
>retroactively so that we don't have to wait 17 years for the current
>patents to enter the public domain.
>
>4. For business method andsoftware patents, there should be a short
>(maybe one month) public comment period *before* the patent number is
>issued.  This would give the Internet community the opportunity to
>provide prior art references to the patent examiners at a time when it
>could really help.

The One-Click idea is not that new. It's just a combination of cookies
and browser tricks. The same concept has been applied in different was in
many places.

>For more information, please take a few minutes to read Jeff's open
>letter on this subject:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/patents

I read Jeff's letter, and he is only intent on winning, and crushing his
competition and exacting license fees from those he does not crush. This
is completely unfair, and contradictory to the free spirit of innovation
that drives the Internet. It reminds me of Microsoft, whom I detest for
the very same reason. And yes, I have boycotted them as well.

Respectfully,
Jonathon

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--