Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:49:27 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 06:07:47PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:

> [snip]
>
> >Ok, not the best example. I guess the handguns law is a better one since
> >it's now illegal to have a handgun in the UK even if you bought it
> >before the law changed.
> >
> >Everyone here who had one was required to hand them in when the law came
> >in to effect.
>
> I hope they weren't foolish enough to actually hand them in.

Most of them did (there was a compensation scheme). The big difference
of course is that over here most people realize that there is no real
justification for *any* civilian, except farmers, to own firearms (we
don't have grizzlies and rattlesnakes, so walking in the hills is
safe).

The law was introduced after the massacre at a school in Dunblane,
Scotland, which was not unlike Columbine (sp?) in the US, except that
the kids were only ~5 years old.

> -- Jay

Seminars, n.:
       From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.