Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:22:03 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

>   As for "thousands of people people suffering from a driver that is not
>up-to-date", I think you are *way* overstating the breadth of the problem.
>I'll also point out that hundreds of thousands of people find the fxp driver
>a lifesaver and one of the best functioning network drivers in the source
>tree. Your comments definately piss me off and definately provide for major
>negative motivation as far as my interest in solving this problem is
>concerned. Bludgeoning tactics like yours might sometimes work in business,
>but they sure as hell don't work in free software development.
>   As said in previous mail, I'll implement a solution as soon as I can find
>some time. I'm extremely busy these days and if I can somehow squeeze in some
>quality development time inbetween multiple trips across te country, then
>I will. Otherwise people will either have to use the patch I mailed out or
>just wait.

If you dont have time then perhaps someone else should do it. THATS the
point.

Its an important driver. People get upset when they can't run full-duplex
mode. It makes linux MUCH more attractive when you can run your $39. card
at twice the speed.

Whether you are angry at me or not is no reason to punish the communiity.
If you think that you are just doing this for me because I'm the only one
with the nerve to complain then you dont understand your obligation to the
user base.

Plus I've already fixed it myself. So if you fix it its not for me at all.

DB