Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:49:18 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fdesc patch update: Now for mounting specifically on /dev/fd

   I have updated the patches to accomplish the following:

- Remove the stdin, stdout, stderr and tty nodes.
- Make the `fd' directory the root directory.
- Remove the read, write, ioctl, and readlink vop_t functions
  because these don't need handling anymore (all nodes are Fdesc
  nodes).
- Remove all of the fd types except Froot and Fdesc.  The others
  (Flink and Fctty) are no longer needed, and everything related
  to them.
- More properly (but not completely properly at this point)
  handle `stat' for sockets and pipes.
- Generally clean up the code and make it more readable.

   The current patch is available at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~chris/fdesc.patch (I believe 665 lines is
a little too long for the patch to be attached to this email
message).

--