Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:33:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   USB Installation - Working Release!

Ok, I've been working on trying to build a release that can be
installed onto machines that have USB keyboards as well as other
USB foo.  My current patch to src/ for this is at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/usb.release.patch.  You can
use it to build a release via
'make release LOCAL_PATCHES=usb.release.patch'.  A release of
-current made with this patch can be found at
ftp://ftp.Baldwin.cx/pub/FreeBSD/5.0-BALDWIN_CX-USB-20000330/

1) The kernel userconfig does not work with a USB keyboard.  The
   result is that we can't put INTRO_USERCONFIG into the install
   floppy.  Since we want this for installation whenever we can
   this means that we will have to have a seperate USB kern.flp
   until userconfig is moved out to the loader where it arguably
   belongs.

2) Right now the GENERIC kernel doesn't have the atkbd0 device
   in it, so it won't work on a system with just an AT keyboard.
   For a workaround, I'm thinking of adding kbdcontrol to the
   install floppy, and adding an entry into /etc/usbd.conf for
   ukbd0 that runs kbdcontrol to change the default keyboard to
   the first USB keyboard.  Thus, on a system with both an AT
   and a USB keyboard, the USB keyboard would be used, and on a
   system with either the working one would be used.  I'll be
   working on this later on this evening and then try to roll
   another release.  However, this would require a change to
   /usr/src/etc/usbd.conf if that is ok with everyone.

Comments?