Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:57:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install 4.0-STABLE on an old Laptop

In message <20000415090120.A75820@sr.se> Gunnar Flygt writes:
: Has anyone tried the minimum requirements for 4.0? Sure, but will it run
: on an old Toshiba 486 with 24 MB of RAM?

I've booted (but not installed) 4.0 of approx jan 1, 2000 on a 4MB
system with 32MB of hard disk and no swap.  It wasn't pretty, but it
worked.  I had to do a lot of trimming to get stuff into the hard
disk (a 32MB CF actually) and then do a lot of pruning of system
daemons to make it run (killed sendmail, cron, inetd, most ptys, ran
sshd as my only network daemon, etc).

24MB of RAM shoud be plenty to run a fairly thin, but still usable
system.

Warner