Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:19:57 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, A G F Keahan <ak@freenet.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multithreaded server performance

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 06:13:53AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Brian O'Shea wrote:
> >
> > I was under the impression that, because user thread scheduling is done
> > in user mode, a thread that goes to sleep calling a blocking read()
> > system call will put the entire process to sleep until that read()
> > returns (and so all user threads in the process will also be blocked).
> > Is this correct?
>
> 1. You are mistaken.

Could you elaborate?  The text that I am using [1] warns about blocking
system calls putting the process (and thus all user threads) to sleep.
This book has no FreeBSD specific information, so anything specific to
FreeBSD would be really interesting to hear.

> > Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Go To 1. ;-)
>
> --
> Dan Eischen

Thanks,
-brian

1.  Norton, Scott J., "Thread Time", p.24, Hewlett-Packard Professional
    Books, ISBN 0-13-190067-6

--
Brian O'Shea
boshea@ricochet.net