Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 23:17:35 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Naw, Netscape doesn't have a memory problem!

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 09:11:06PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 03:27 PM 5/2/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >The problem appears to be that bitmaps instanced in shared memory
> >do not have their reference counts properly decremented when they
> >are no longer referenced.
>
> The problem happens in Windows, too. Certain pages (the
> abcnews.go.com home page is one of them) cause recent versions
> of Netscape to wrap themselves around a tree. The browser grabs more
> memory, and more, and more.... Until the entire system is starved
> for RAM.
>
> I'd hoped that 6.0 would fix the problem, but it crashed immediately
> after install when I tried it -- maybe because I refused to give
> AOL reams of personal information about myself during the registration
> process. (Their unmitigated gall is showing in the new browser.)
> So, I can't tell.
>
> --Brett

I've installed Netscape 6 beta 1 on winblows 95 and 98, Debian
(2.2) and Caldera.  What are you talking about?  Perhaps you've
nurtured some kludged up mess of a box that's unlikely to run
notepad with any stability?  I keep hearing this predictable blather
about Netscape 6 and wondering just how cruel I have to be to a
system to reproduce these `crashes', but I have yet to experience
it.  It's certainly not perfect but it rivals 4.x for stability.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.