Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 22:48:47 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 06:32:18PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> [ ... sysctl ... ]
>
> > This looks like an excellent proposal. Does anyone have comments, or could
> > someone with experience" in this area provide a patch?
>
> As an experiment to convince people, this is OK.  As a permanent
> change, it's wrong.
>
> Without handling the stalling case, the code is incorrect, and _will_
> result in poorer performance on the first idle/resource wait.

Not only that, but (as I just found out) the stray irq 7's which I
mentioned earlier in the tread are a real problem. My system just hanged
during printer I/O.

I still have only the hlt instruction in the kernel. When not using the
printer, the system is fine.

    Dave.

--
 djb@ifa.au.dk                             d.j.boers@tn.utwente.nl
 PGP key: ftp://relativity.student.utwente.nl:/pub/pgpkeys/djb.asc