Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 10:24:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Jim Whitelaw <jim@pdsys.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "chip@chocobo.cx"@info.iet.unipi.it, chip@chocobo.cx, kjc@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: Packet priority

> >What I'm looking to do is some sort of prioritizing of packets for
> >delivery on our FreeBSD routers. What I kindof have in mind is a
> >system that would give non-news traffic a higher priority than news
> >traffic, so that news is the first thing to have it's bandwidth cut.
>
> I think that ALTQ might be what you're looking for:
>
> http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/programs.html

i _think_ ALTQ uses the tx clock of the card for doing the scheduling.
So unless you have an ATM card (which i have heard has an embedded
shaper supported by ALTQ) or you are directly interfacing with your
T1 via a card whose driver has ALTQ support, you are out of luck
with ALTQ for this particular application.

Kenjiro, can you confirm this if you are listening ?

	cheers
	luigi