Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 20:33:39 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Removing 2.X entries from FAQ?

 Hi all-

 As you may or may not have noticed, I've submitted two or three PRs doing
general updates to the FAQ (these were committed fairly quickly,
thanks!). Most of the updates I submitted dealt with updating version
numbers, and adding 3.X/4.X relevant information to entries which only had
solutions for FreeBSD 2.X. Almost all of the updates I submitted kept the
information relevant to FreeBSD 2.X intact; I just added a "In FBSD 3/4,
do this...In FreeBSD 2.X..<original entry>".
 Anyways, to get to the point, what do people think about completely
removing all of the FreeBSD 2.X specific entries from the FAQ? Personally,
I think that all the 2.X cruft in there is fairly useless, and just makes
the FAQ both bigger and harder to understand. If FreeBSD were a commercial
enterprise, I think 2.X would be officially end-of-lifed, and the support
contracts for 2.X would have been outsourced to somewhere else. As it is,
if anybody asks the mailing lists for help when they're running 2.X, 99%
of the time, the only reply they receieve is "Upgrade to 4.0".

 If there was general agreement, I would at some point (probably not until
at least next week) change the preface to FreeBSD 3.X and 4.X FAQ, and add
a notice in the preface saying something like "The entries in this FAQ
only apply to FreeBSD 3.X and 4.X. If you are running FreeBSD 2.X, we
strongly suggest you upgrade <provide link to upgrade docs>. Some entries
in here may be relevant to FreeBSD 2.X as well, but we do not guarantee
that any solution presented here will work for 2.X.", and then gradually
go through and nuke the ancient FAQ entries.

 Questions/comments? I don't know if we collect some kind of usage
data; how many people are there that still use 2.X?

Eric