Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 22:00:03 -0500
From:      "Michael C. Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
To:        jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, dan@freebsddiary.org
Subject:   Re: TrueType Fonts

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:12:54AM -0400, jim Weeks scribbled:
| On Tue, 9 May 2000, Michael Chin-Yuan Wu wrote:
|                 TrueType fonts for FreeBSD/XFree86
|
| The following operation requires root access.
|
| The easiest way to use TrueType (*.ttf) fonts in FreeBSD/XFree86 is to first install XfStt from the ports collection. This port is found under X11-servers.
|
| Once installed you will need to create the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
/TrueType which is where XfStt looks for fonts.  Next you should populate the directory with fonts.

| TrueType (*.ttf) fonts are easily found and several are even available for do
wnload on the Microsoft web site. One way to get the fonts is to zip the font d
irectory on that old Ms Windows machine before you reformat the drive for FreeB
SD. If you are lucky enough to have the old machine on a local network you may want to ftp the fonts over to your FreeBSD machine.

| Once you have the fonts in your new TrueType directory you are ready to start
 the server.  You can start it by simply typing "xfstt &" at the command prompt
. You should insure that xfstt is started at boot time.  This is easily accomplished by adding the following lines to /etc/rc.local

| /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt &
| echo "XfStt"
|
| The font database will be synchronized the first time you start the server.
If you wish to add fonts later you will need to stop the server and type "xfstt --sync" to re-synchronize the database.

| The last thing you need to do is make Xfree86 recognize your new fonts.  In o
rder to do this you will need to add the following line to your list of fonts in /etc/XF86Config,

|  FontPath   "unix/:7100"
|
| where "7100" is the default port for the native FreeBSD version of XfStt.
|
| You should now be ready to start X and test your installation.  If you have N
etscape installed you can check under Edit/Preferences/Fonts.  The new fonts should now be visible in the Variable width fonts menu.

---end quoted text---

After reading this over, I find that this tutorial may not be a great
part of the distribution.  However, I know a great place for this
article and should not require much if any modification.
Please consider allowing www.freebsddiary.org to have this article.
I am sure that Dan would put it in the Diary.  Would you consider it? Jim

Thank you very much,