Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 16:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
To:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org (Mitsuru IWASAKI)
Cc:        wietse@porcupine.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks!

Mitsuru IWASAKI:
> > Doug White:
> > > There's also the
> > >
> > > sleep 1; zzz
> > >
> > > command since sometimes the machine will pick up the <enter> from the
> > > command as a keystroke and say alive.
> >
> > I thought that the zzz is executed after the <enter> is typed.
>
> I thought the machine will pick up the <enter> key release event,

When logged in over the network? When closing the display?

> and you can specify the delay like this
>  # sysctl -w machdep.apm_suspend_delay=2

Changing it to 10 seconds does not solve the problem.

> BTW, could you try to unplug AC code and/or all (likely NIC) PCCards
> before zzz?

All tests are done whike booted and running from battery.

As I wrote in earlier email, the bug goes away when I remove the
modem and ethernet card.  However, doing so was not necessary with
FreeBSD 2.2.8.

Can anyone explain why FreeBSD must wake up prematurely when cards
are present, even without cables attached?

Having to plug in and unplug cards all the time is inconvenient
and this interferes with testing of my network software.

> and what is your apm config in your kernel config file?

I made no change to the FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE and PAO3 code, in order
to avoid confusion. I left everything at the defaults except the
hostname and IP address information in rc.conf.

	Wietse