Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 12:29:00 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "Ilia E. Chipitsine" <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck ?

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 10:09:43PM +0600, Ilia E. Chipitsine wrote:

> > > from man page I read that fsck could be run either with "-p" or "-y|n"
> > > options. what about "-p -y" ?!
> >
> > I haven't tried, but they would seem to be mutually exclusive. The
> > '-p' option specifies behavior like,
>
> I did, I put 'fsck -p -y' into /etc/rc, at least it didn't complain :-)
> By the time I tried it, filesystems were umounted clearly.

I don't see why you would include the '-p' with '-y.' It seems that
all of the special behavior implied by -p is the opposite of that
implied by -y.

> >   (2) Don't fsck at all and don't try to mount filesystems that could
> >       be unclean.
>
> That could be the option !
> What about _mounting_ those unclean partitions ?

There is 'mount -f,' but like the manpage says, it's dangerous.

> > The boot process drops into single user mode because a corrupted
> > filesystem is a Very Bad Thing. If you are booting a system with
> > corrupt filesystems, the drop into single user should be the least of
> > your worries.
>
> that PC is supposed to work without a display, without a keyboard,
> the nearest place where they can find anybody who ever heard about 'fsck'
> is probably 5km away.

Then it _needs_ a UPS that can tell it to shutdown cleanly when power
goes out.

There is also the option of mounting most filesystems read-only. That
way, they never get corrupted in the first place. I don't know the
function of this box, but you could have the root and usr partitions
read-only, and then have var writable and possibly some /usr/data or
whatever as well. Make it so the system can boot into multi-user from
read-only filesystems.

Anyway, that's just an idea. I know people set up boxes to run
unattended and with limited failure modes. There may be someone out
there with a good way to set up such a system.