Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:08:26 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting restrictions on Apache processes

* Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> [000604 21:06] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having trouble with 3.4-STABLE and Apache 1.3.12 w/ PHP3 and MySQL.
>

> I thought I could do this with /etc/login.conf but it doesn't seem to have
> any effect.  Is there anything I'm missing here?
>
> Now if I understand correctly, those apache processes run as 'nobody'
> should have 10 as their priority, etc.  This is not the case.

You need to run the limit command (shell builtin) to set the limit,
either that or use 'su - nobody' but that won't work with apache as
you need root to bind to port 80.

A solution that may help is lowering the value that apache uses for
"max serving" (MaxRequestsPerChild) to something lower than you have
it at now, this will get the apache processes to exit more often which
can cause more load, but hopefully the ones that are eating reasources
will die and let fresh ones with less memory leaked back in.

-Alfred