Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:47:04 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Concurrent access to SMbus

I notice that the /dev/smbX devices are exclusive access. This makes
it impossible to run two (or more) programs concurrently that want
to talk to SMbus devices (in my case, healthd and lmmon, both of which
want to open /dev/smb0 to access the LM78).

Is this an SMbus restriction, or an artifact of the smb driver? I did a
very quick scan through /sys/dev/smbus/* and nothing jumped out to
indicate why it needs to be exclusive access.

--lyndon