Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:45:23 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patches/ handling

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:25:17PM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake David O'Brien (obrien@FreeBSD.ORG):
>
> > I VERY much agree with you.  I believe the separate arch patch path will
> > be a maintenance nightmare.
>
> I completely disagree.

Fair enough.  Can you show me an example where it would be impossible
to have a single patch directory, given that we can patch source files
with various #ifdef's, or case/esac on uname etc..

To me, the patches/ directory serves two purposes.. first to get the
stuff to actually compile on FreeBSD.. the second, to make it "fit in"
with the hier(7) view of the world.

In the first case, such patches (if required), should also be going
back to the software author (and I'm just as guilty of not doing this
as most I expect).  These patches, in the interests of maintaining
software portability, should at least be surrounded by an
#ifdef __FreeBSD__ ... #endif clause (for source patches), with
possible further sub-clauses depending on architecture type.

Moreover, if we take the degenerate case, and have the following:

	patches/
	patches.i386/
	patches.i386.RELENG_3/
	patches.i386.RELENG_4/
	patches.i386.CURRENT/
	patches.alpha/
	patches.alpha.RELENG_4/
	patches.alpha.CURRENT/

That's potentially 8 subdirectories, all containing patches, that
have to be maintained.  Interaction between the directories is
not *immediately* obvious.

Finally, including the OS revision is a show-stopper.  What happens
when CURRENT becomes RELENG_5, and a new 6.x turns up?  You want
to go and start doing large numbers of repo-copies?

> Read bsd.port.mk please. The archpatch-directory already exist, I only
> change its behaviour to make it (more) useful.

Until somebody can provide a show-stopping reason why multiple
patch directories absolutely, positively, have to exist, then I'm
totally against them in any way, shape, or form.

I believe a better way to achieve this will be to make more non-x86
hardware available, with jailed trees so that committers can work
independently of one another on the same machine, to ensure that
their patches work across the architectures the core OS supports.
This is in addition to those that my wish to purchase their own
hardware to meet these issues.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org