Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:18:28 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-BSD FUD

G. Adam Stanislav said on Jun  7, 2000 at 09:31:52:
> At 18:47 06-06-2000 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> >See
> >
> >http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2582875,00.html
>
> Strange thing... I wanted to make sure to know what exactly "fud" means, so
> I checked Merriam-Webster's online dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/).
>
> According to the dictionary, "fud" is synonymous with "fuddy-duddy", which
> is a (circa) 1904 word meaning "one that is old-fashioned, unimaginative,
> or conservative."
>
> But I don't think that's what you had in mind.
>
> Anyway, I always thought fud was a linuxy slang word for twisting
> propaganda. If my understanding of the word is correct, then I would not
> say the article is fud.

It stands for "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" -- marketing tactics used
by established players against new technology.  It's often used by
linux people to indicate twisting propaganda by big companies, but
I've read that its origins are much older.  According to the hacker
dictionary (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/FUD.html)

   FUD /fuhd/ n.

   Defined by Gene Amdahl after he left IBM to found his own company:
   "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill
   in the minds of potential customers who might be considering [Amdahl]
   products." The idea, of course, was to persuade them to go with safe
   IBM gear rather than with competitors' equipment. This implicit
   coercion was traditionally accomplished by promising that Good Things
   would happen to people who stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed
   over the future of competitors' equipment or software. See IBM.  After
   1990 the term FUD was associated increasingly frequently with
   Microsoft, and has become generalized to refer to any kind of
   disinformation used as a competitive weapon.

> I *disagree* with the author, but I don't think he means to be distorting
> facts for propaganda purposes, or, for that matter, that he is "anti-BSD"
> (he does say BSD is a better OS than Linux, after all). I get the
> impression he is expressing his opinion.

Quite.  He was quite clearly talking about the license and not to the
software, so to open by attacking the article as "anti-BSD FUD" will
not really encourage people to read your response further.

R.