Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:08:34 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

-On [20000609 06:10], Chad Ziccardi (zicc@bellatlantic.net) wrote:
>FreeBSD <admin@ced.0418.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have been a unix user for a long time now and wondering if you could maybe
>> give me some information. I am running a P500 1Gram and a
>> IBM deskstar 7200rpm with uldra dma 66. The Unix 4.0 releases only works with
>> uldra dma 33 disks. Soon "www.bredbandsbolaget.se" will offer me a high speed
>> connection at 10Mbps to be started then 100Mbps then 1000Mbps. The first think
>> i need to know is why FreeBSD isent supporting udma 66 or udma 100.

My deskstar works perfectly with the ATA driver using UDMA4 mode
[ATA/66].  ata(4) will tell you what controllers are supported and at
what speeds.  You might want to upgrade to 4.0-STABLE because Soren
committed some fixes in 4.0-S this weekend.

>FreeBSD 4.0 has ata/66 support.
>
>I think SUSE linux was the first OS/Distro to support ata/100, tho I don't
>know of any drives/ or motherboards that support this. Having your ata/66
>drive it can't run at ata/100 anyways, so that's not a concern.

We would've had it this weekend as well if Soren got his stuff on time.
Instead it will probably be in the tree this week.  And note that unlike
our Linux brethren I don't experience lock-ups with my ATA driver.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands