Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:09:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Freebsd Questions)
Subject:   sendmail, fetchmail, DNS(?), lions, tigers,....

   Hi gang,

	I am attempting to get fetchmail and sendmail working. Here is
   what I want to do:

	1. Use fetchmail to POP my mail from my ISP to machine2.
	2. Use sendmail to route any mail it doesn't recognise as
	   local to my ISP SMNP server, where it is mailed as
	   having been sent by brucegb@bga.com, NOT brucegb@machine2.my.domain!

   I want to be able to read and send mail on my machine2, store it
   locally, and generally not log in just to read my mail. News is
   a different problem...

	My configuration:

	domain: my.domain
	machine1 - 192.168.1.1  - natd, ipfw, pppd, routed
	machine2 - 192.168.1.2  - ipfw, routed -q, sendmail, fetchmail
	laptop   - 192.168.1.3  - N/A to the problem

   I use pppd on machine1 to dial my ISP, handle routing info, natd and
   run the main firewall.

   I want my mail to arrive on machine2, which is where I am running
   sendmail and fetchmail.

	Fetchmail(.rc) is configured and working. It fetches mail from
   my ISP. Where it goes then, however, is another story. I can't find
   it...

	Sendmail(.cf) _seems_ to be working, but since I am not really
   sure what I am doing, that is a loaded statement. :-) Certainly I
   can talk to it via the SNMP port, and have it deliver mail from
   just about any fictious rascal I want. /etc/aliases file is mostly
   stock, with the addition of:

		root:	brucegb@machine2.my.domain

	Questions:

	1. Do I need my own private DNS server running ala the
	   discussion in "The Complete FreeBSD", Chapter 25, for
	   my fiefdom, so there is a MX record for sendmail? As
	   I said, mail for brucegb@bga.com is not to be found on
	   brucegb@machine2.my.domain. Clearly a configuration
	   problem. Where? What?

	2. Do I need my own private DNS server to help sendmail
	   send mail back to my ISP SNMP server? I was under the
	   impression that was what masquerading in sendmail.cf
	   was for, now I am not sure...

	3. How the hell do I get what I want to do work!?!?!  :-)

   And tutorials, configurations, suggestions (EXCEPT! rtfm), tips,
   etc. might be gladly accepted. :-)

	Oh, heck, one more question: Anybody get pppd to demand dial
   from behind natd? I can start Netscape on machine2, but I never got
   pppd do demand dial on machine1...

						Thank you,
							Bruce