Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:50:09 EDT
From:      "Jennifer Ulrich" <pixie_styxx@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   allowing passive ftp through ipfw

Hello all!

I have a FreeBSD 3.4 box which runs ipfw, that is firewalling for a publicly
reachable lan of servers, including FTP servers. When I set up the machine,
I made the FTP servers reachable by adding a rule for:

ipfw add 1400 pass all from x.x.x.x/x to any
ipfw add 2300 pass tcp from any to x.x.x.x 21
(x.x.x.x 21 being the address of  the ftp server and a default rule allowing
anything from my internal lan out through the firewall)

I initially had some problems with clients on the lan not being able to
establish FTP connections outbound, so I added this rule :

ipfw 2300 pass tcp from any to x.x.x.x/x established

With these two rules in place, FTP was a happy camper. Users could connect
from outside of the network to specific FTP servers, and users inside the
network could connect to any FTP server on the internet. Everything ran
smoothly until someone from the internet tried to connect to the internal
FTP server with Netscape.

Apparently, when Netscape opens a FTP connection, it does so by sending a
PASV (instead of PORT) command. Basically as I understand it, in passive
mode, the server passively sets the port and passes that information to the
client. It is then up to the client to actively open the ftp connection on
that specified port. So instead of the ftp connection coming in with a
destination of 21, it comes in on some predetermined but random high port.
(which is why my ruleset denies the connection.)

So how do I get passive FTP to work? I certainly would rather not punch a
hole in the firewall to allow all traffic destined to the higher ports
through to my FTP server. Is there another way to do accomplish this that is
a bit more secure?

Anyone's thoughts and suggestions regarding this matter, are most
appreciated!

~jenn